Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The love of a boy

Today, was nice and slightly unusual. Not unusual that my daughter went to hang out with her bff for the day, but unusual that my son and I were left alone. Although I spend most of my days with my son, it is not often that he and I are totally alone together. I don't really know or remember when this began in our relationship. I just know that I can't remember the last time it was just the two of us, all day.

Many of our days are filled with Do's & Don'ts, Yes & No's, and time outs. However today was special. When he asked me to take him to his favorite store (Game Stop) to trade in his video games, I didn't object. I said "yes" and I didn't even complain. We stopped an a local arts & crafts store and instead of getting him what I wanted him to have, I gave him the opportunity to pick out what HE wanted. We decided to take our puppy Isabelle to the park to walk and play. Prior to getting there we stopped and got an ice cream, just he and I. We got to the park and began walking, laughing, joking and enjoying the scenery...Just He and I. As we made our way to the edge of a small pond, admiring the ducks and feeling the warmth of the beautiful sunset. My son said to me in the simplest, most matter of fact tone that I know was not matter of factly in feeling " Mom, this is a great mother and son bonding moment."
At that brief second in time, which felt so light, fluffy and sweet, nothing else mattered except...He and I. I realized that sometimes all he wants is for it to be...Just HE and I, simple and true. Sharing the same space, acknowledgement of his individuality, appreciating his uniqueness. Today I made a mental note to self....this will not be the last mother and son bonding moment. It will be a recurring event, beneficial to us both...Just He and I.


Before he was born, I was skeptical about being the mother of a boy. But today was one of those days that I am thankful to LOVE and to HAVE The Love Of A Boy.

2 comments:

  1. Well said. I struggle with a similar thing with my 11yos. We are always together, but never alone togehter. Our relationship is based upon No and Yes. I've decided to change this. Each child needs that indiviual time with their parent.

    Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I have twin teen girls and an 11 year old son, and I really do try to do one on one time with each of them. It's very fun, and they each like it.
    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete