Monday, June 1, 2009

30 Days

I have a new challenge. I am giving myself 30 days to do it too. Actually it is a challenge for my husband and I both. What is it? Well if you read my prior post you know that we are in process of trimming the fat on our family budget. Keeping with that trend we are also about to trim the fat on our bodies!!
It seems that we have just been falling back into bad habits all across the board, and our eating habits are no exception. Neither one of us are considered "heavy", but a person does not have to be "heavy" to be unhealthy. My husband would like to cut back primarily for cosmetic reasons, but I on the other hand am needing to do it not only for cosmetic purposes but also for my health.
I have a long line of Diabetes and heart disease in my family history. Six years ago I developed several diabetic symptoms but never diagnosed with diabetes. I was feeling bad and beginning to look worse than I felt. However, with regular visits to a Naturapath Doctor and a vigorous health plan I was on a good path to healthy living, and stayed on it for quite some time. Then, during and after a stressful time in my life which lasted about one year, I let all of my good habits go down the drain. Which brings me to my current situation. A recent physical revealed some red flags; high blood sugar levels (bordering on diabetic) for the past 3 months, High cholesterol, extreme anemia, and questionable kidney functions. (the latter two was no surprise since 6 mos ago I was hospitalized because of it).

So, I am now on a mission to get back to good health and good habits. The next 30 days I am challenging myself. I will try to:

  • keep away from sugars (soda, chips, ice cream, etc.)
  • Drink half my body weight in ounces of water each day.
  • No meat, except fish (I'm a wanna be vegetarian),
  • boost my veggie intake, especially dark green leafy ones (iron).
  • Stay away from the bread and starches except for brown rice.
  • get more active

**I know this is more about lifestyle change so the 30 days is just to kinda jump start myself.

As an African American woman I know that I am at a higher risk for developing certain illnesses. Some of which are apart of my own genetics. So, although it was fun while it lasted (and it was fun to eat what I wanted!) I have to make some changes and be a better example for my children in making better choices for a healthier lifestyle. So, in an effort to keep myself on the right track for the next 30 days I will be posting my progress to share with you. Feeling that there are "eyes" on me will cut back any cheating that I may be inclined to do. LOL! This is most definitely gonna be a bumpy ride at the take off....Are your seat belts on?

No comments:

Post a Comment