Monday, February 22, 2010

There is a lot to be learned from Art

When we were in Washington DC last week we decided to take in some sights. No point in going somewhere if I can't see the sights right? In true form we (my #1 home girl and I) were pushing our time limits to the max. We should have left DC before 12 noon but being the habitual line crosser's that we are, we did not leave until 6pm.

One thing we did was visit the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art. What a treat! It was there, that I was introduced to the mind blowing art of Nigerian artist Yinka Shonibare MBE. His work is pure genius to me. He uses painting, sculpture, photography and film to address social and racial issues relevant especially to Africa, The french revolution and European colonialism. One aspect of his art that is unique in my mind is his use of Dutch Wax Fabric. He really made me think, reflect and learn things of which I was not very familiar. Interesting, so interesting.

Here are some pictures of his art featured in the exhibit that are from the Smithsonian Website. The pictures don't really do it justice, you had to be there.

*CLICK THE PHOTO DESCRIPTION TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT*

Globe Children "suggesting that we are like children toying with the world...unaware of the consequences of our actions"


Headless Man Trying to Drink


Odile and Odette inspired by Swan Lake



Black Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment