Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Terrific Tuesdays: I'm Stuffing it!

What is your favorite food to eat? Breakfast, lunch, Dinner? I love all of it, however my favorite is breakfast. I love, love, LOVE breakfast food! Especially french toast. The next few weeks for my Terrific Tuesday posts I will be posting my favorite french toast recipes.

My first one is Apricot-Stuffed french toast. Try preparing it for your family, I know they will love it just as mine does. I have made it several times and there is never any left.

Apricot-Stuffed French Toast

Serves 4

  • 1 loaf Italian bread (about 4 inches in diameter), cut into eight 1-inch-thick slices
  • 3 tablespoons apricot jam
  • 1/4 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup low-fat (1 percent) milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Pure maple syrup, for serving (optional)

Directions

  1. Using a paring knife, cut a horizontal slit in each bread slice to form a pocket. In a bowl, blend jam and cream cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon mixture into each pocket.
  2. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and cinnamon until combined. In a large nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium-low heat. Lay half the bread slices in egg mixture, letting them soak 5 seconds on each side.
  3. Place slices in skillet; cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining bread, adding more butter to skillet if needed. If desired, serve French toast with syrup and bacon.
From Everyday Food, December 2006

1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy even though I'm not a fan of french toast. I eat it occasionally when I have a taste for it. My favorite is breakfast as well because I always have a lot of fruit first then my grains (raisin bread or something) with coffee. For protein I'll spread some peanut butter on it or put cheese and deli turkey on it. Mmmm, I'm getting hungry again.

    ReplyDelete