Sunday, January 3, 2010

Orange is the color for January- Part 1

Last year, my cousin /business partner /best friend and I came up with the idea to merge our two passions; massage and reflexology to create one business. Our services are for everyone, but with a concentration on women. Helping women to create a healthy place within their own mind and body, remembering that beauty begins within. (more on that later, I promise.) Anyhow, as we were forming this venture I realized that I wanted to be more than just another "spa service", that I wanted to be one that was an advocate and supporter regarding health issues related to women. Not any random issue, but one that was of importance to me personally. One that has affected myself or those that I love. The first health issue I thought of was HPV and cervical cancer. Although I do not personally have either of these illnesses, I am related to women that do, and I would like to understand more about it so that I can be more of a support.
As I was pondering these thoughts, it occurred to me that I met some lovely ladies at Blogalicious who were representing Tamika and Friends. A wonderful organization dedicated to spreading the word about prevention , treatment and support for HPV and cervical cancer. I pulled out their brochure, and contacted them. Their website www.tamikaandfriends.org is full of advice and soul stirring personal stories of women, including Tamika Felder herself. They have great programs to fit every one's needs and an opportunity for all to get involved from a small to a large level.

I signed up to be a friend and I am so excited! My first chance to report for supporter duty will be on January 27Th for National Wear Orange Day. In a few days I will post more information about what this small event will entail and lead up to a larger event in the weeks to come. HPV and cervical cancer is PREVENTABLE AND TREATABLE . January is National Cervical Cancer Awareness Month. Take the first step and get educated on the subject. It could save your life or that of someone you love.

Until next time....

*HUGS*

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thank you for this information. My cousin had cervical cancer, but luckily,she is healed now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned a lot from our conversation about it. I look forward to learning more!

    ReplyDelete