Monday, August 2, 2010

Oh No He Didn't Tuesday! : What really is "normal?"

Recently I gave my eleven year old a list of chores to do. On this particular day that I delegated these chores I also did not allow any video game or television watching until it was all done. Mind you, my children are no strangers to chores. It is a common practice in our home. However, you know how it is, you give a kid an inch of slack from working and they just take a whole yard...or two.

Well anyway, my son was assigned the chore of washing dishes. HAND WASHING the dishes, not loading up the dishwasher, but absolute old skool filling up the sink with a few drops of liquid dish soap and a splash of bleach. I leave the area for a little bit and returned to see giant crocodile tears and a pleading look in my sons eyes. I ask him why and he responded with a flow of tears like a raging river.

He said....with so much sincerity "I just want to be a NORMAL KID WITH A NORMAL CHILDHOOD". Okay, so I had to blink a few times because of the shock. I had to look around me to be sure he was talking to ME. Last time I checked , this kid had a pretty good life. He continues to explain..."I don't like having to do these chores! All I wanna do is play like the rest of my friends. No one else has to work like I do! It is so unfair the way I have to clean every day. I think you make me do chores because of how you were raised and now your trying to do the same thing to me!"

BLANK STARE... Say it with me "OH NO HE DIDN'T !"

Welcome to “OH NO HE DIDN’T” TUESDAY, a super awesome blog carnival created by Kristi at Live and Love…Out Loud. Click on over to her blog to find out what made her and everyone else stop and say “OH NO HE DIDN’T!”

4 comments:

  1. OH NO HE DIDN'T!
    That's hilarious! Please tell your dear boy that he is absolutely normal. My children are in the same boat as he is. Those kids who don't have chores? They're not normal! lol
    Thanks so much for playing along with OH NO HE DIDN'T! Tuesday. Your son is a riot!

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just cant imagine what I would do if my son said that to me! That is crazy! These kids don't know how good they have it nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell him he is NOT having a NORMAL childhood and that you are NOT trying to raise him the way you were raised. If he were having a "NORMAL" childhood, (like you & I had) you would have knocked him into next Tuesday and STILL made him wash the dishes. LOL! Oh no he didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no! poor thing :) tell him my 9 year old daughter has to make her bed, clean her room, and sweep EVERY DAY as well as clean the bathroom and do her laundry every Friday. She's growing into washing the dishes!!

    ReplyDelete